Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Frutos do Labor (Fruits of Labor)

Ola Família!

Well, I can´t wash my right hand ever again because I shook the hand of Elder Neil L. Andersen of the Quorom of the Twelve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so awesome.  We had this HUGE meeting this morning with all of the Brazil Fortaleza Mission and all the the Brazil Fortaleza East mission.  We had some 400 missionaries in attendance to hear the words of one of the Apostles of the Lamb of God.  It was amazing.  I learned so many things, especially about the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  It was also the first (and let´s be real, the only) time I was able to leave the mission limits becasue the meeting was on the other side of the city in Messejana.  But it was so awesome to feel the power of the testimony of that man.  Much like the accelaration of my testimony of Jesus Christ after General Conference, it was amazing to feel fortified and strengthened after the meeting with Elder Andersen.

This week was a little slow, but it was also really cool.  I entitled this "Fruits of Labor" because of one lesson in particular.  Remember Cleiton from last week? (I think)  Well, we had another visit with him this week.  We reviewed with him the importance of prayer in his life and how it could help him.   We also reviewed the importance of knowing that this is the only true and living church of Jesus Christ on the earth and how this could help him.  In this particular lesson we were reviewing the Book of Mormon and we testified of how this great blessing can bless his life more than he ever imagined.  Then he said something I will never forget.  We asked "do  you have any doubts or questions about what we taught?"  And he responded "No.  I just want to say thanks.  You guys have helped me out a lot.  I was feeling such a lack of security and happiness in my life.  I didn´t feel like I could talk with anyone about what was going on in my life.  But I know I can trust you guys."  Wow.  When he said that, that went right to my heart.  Here we are, two twenty year-old americans, living in Brazil, trying to teach people the gospel in Portuguese.  And this man who has a career and is trying to do things with his life, trusts us with his most personal feelings and concerns.  That´s a big deal.  But why is it that this man can trust two americans he has never met?  Because we were called by a prophet of God to share this message and we know that this message is true.  Elder Bradley and myself are two simple people with an extraordinary message.  What we are is very little when compared to what we have.  We have the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as restored by a living prophet of God.  There is nothing greater than that.  I am very little compared to this message.  But this message is everything to me and I´ve never been more happy in my entire life.  I know that this truly is the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth.  Why?  I´ve never been so happy while thinking so little about myself.  When our will is truly swallowed up in the will of the Father, everything can be ours.  I love being a missionary more than I have ever loved anything in my entire life.  Swimming, was super legit.  Playing trumpet, as well, was awesome.  Mowing lawns, I also enjoyed.  Learning stuff in college, was pretty cool too.  But when compared to the glory, happiness, and eternal splendor of the gopsel of Jesus Christ, nothing even compares.  I love being a missionary.

I hope what I wrote makes sense.  I´ve just been so impressed this week with how much I love Brazil, Portugese, and in general just being a missionary.  Teaching people to draw closer to Christ is the greatest thing I have ever done.  I love it here.  I will cry when I have to leave.  I love being a missionary.

Amo vocês!


Élder Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment