Monday, July 7, 2014

AMERICA!!!! and the power of the Book of Mormon

Oi família!

Well, Independance Day has come and gone.  Did I eat an omlete?  No.  A snow cone?  No.  But, we had to stay inside again because Brazil was playing again.  They won, which is a mixture of feelings.  I really am happy when Brazil wins.  The only problem is that it inhibits my perception of work.  But that´s one of the things I´m learning during the World Cup.  Regardless of what happens "no unhallowed hand can stop this work."  But, Élder Freeman (the other American in the house) and I celebrated America together, as you can see in the attached photo. 

Anyway, this week was interesting.  We weren´t able to work a ton between conferences, meetings, cleanings, and the world cup, but we still had a baptism!  Remember Rosa?  Yeah, the one I wrote about for the last two weeks!  She got baptized!  It was one of the most spiritually powerful experiences in my life.  The whole time we were there the Spirit was soooo strong and really testified to me that our Father in Heaven is very happy with her decision.

During our work with here this week, we had the opportunity to pass by a lot and converse with her almost every day about her decision and what she was doing.  As we were reviewing the baptismal interview questions she said one of the coolest things I´ve heard in my life.  We were talking about repentance and after defining it she said she felt she had repented of her past sins.  Then she said "you know, I feel like a new person.  I feel closer to God than I have felt in my entire life.  I feel like something is developing inside me."  and then after her baptism she said "you know, the baptismal clothes are a little weird, but there is this comfort and power that you can feel when you´re in them that you know you´re doing the right thing."  Wow.  This was truly an experience to teach someone who was truly converted before their baptism. 

But think about how that was possible.  What did Élder Tamanho and I do to make this happen?  To be honest, not much.  We showed up and said (paraphrased) "Hey, read the Book of Mormon and pray to know if it´s true."  She did and now she´s a member of the church.  Rosa lives part-time at her sister´s house and that´s where we´ve been teaching her.  We´ve tried a lot to get her sister to participate too, but she´s been more work.  We were talking with her sister, Eunice, this week and said "We just have one invitation for you.  Read the Book of Mormon and pray to know if it´s true."  She said she didn´t want to.  We asked why and she said, "Because everyone who reads the Book of Mormon and prays about it ends up being baptized!"  Just wait.  She´ll get there too.  But that´s the interesting thing.  There´s no other way around it.  The Book of Mormon is either true, or it isn´t, and the only person that can really tell us is God.  He has the power to open doors and knowledge that we simply can´t.  But how He opens those doors is through our sincere prayer and study of the Book of Mormon.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true and it is the reason why I am serving a mission.  I invite each one of you to share a copy of the Book of Mormon with one of your friends this week.  I promise that as you do, miracles will abound and you will be able to see that the Lord is preparing people who are only "kept from the truth because they know not where to find it."  The Lord will do miracles in your lives in the same way He did for Rosa as you read, ponder, and pray daily about the Book of Mormon.  It is true.  I know it.

Até o próximo!


Élder Evans


I get so darn excited when I´m sending e-mails sometimes that I forget things.
Here´s a photo!
Élder Tamanho, Rosa, Me! 
Amo vocês! 
Élder Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment