Monday, October 7, 2013

Muitas experiencias! (Many experiences)

Oi familia!

Entao, this week has been crazy.  The Lord has really been blessing Elder Weaver and I with a lot, despite a number of setbacks we've received.  But things are rockin' and we love it!  Being a missionary is so awesome!

So, the picture I attached is kind of random, I know.  But, WE GOT A NEW CAR!!! And when I say new, I mean new.  The picture is the odometer just a few minutes after we picked her up.  Literally, the car had 37 miles on it when we picked it up.  It's a 2014 Chevy Cruze and she is absolutely beautiful.  We named her Sadie. I'll try and send you a picture of her before I sair for Brazil (but who knows when that will happen). We were super bummed to have to give up Maximus (out truck), but Sadie is one of a kind. 

Speaking of visas, my friend, Elder Smith, from the MTC received his visa this week. Brazil is clearly processing them, the question is how long it takes.  Well, I know I'm here in Kansas for a specific purpose, and when that purpose is fulfilled I'll receive my visa.  Until then, I'll continue to "joyfully do all things within my power" (D&C 123:17)

Meanwhile, in the spiritual department, how about confernece?! I loved how so many people emphasized member-missionary work.  There are things that need to be done in the field!  The work is hastening across the world and we have the wonderful opportunity to be a part of it!  We have the single greatest message which has ever graced them world, second only to the coming of Jesus Christ to redeem mankind.  We have living prophets! Prophets are not just something of the past, they are of today as well!  God always called prophets to guide His children in the past.  God does call prophets today to guide us, and he will call prophets throughout the rest of time.  Following conference last night, Elder Weaver and I had the opportunity to visit Lancy, and investigator of ours.  He had a really rough weekend and was exhausted but we tried to talk to him anyway. I bore testimony of prophets and how we truly have prophets on the earth today.  After I finished my testimony he said "Wow.  You really believe that don't you?" We left the lesson a little later and Elder Weaver said "When you were bearing testimony of prophets, the Spirit was super strong.  Even though Lancy was totally out of it tonight, you could tell he was really feeling something too."  God loves us, and He has given us prophets to lead and guide us because of His infinite love for us.  

We also had an amazing lesson with a lady named Katie this week.  Katie came to us by way of referral, kind of.  Last week Bro Albert told us to go visit a man named Alvin Crippen who is a less-active member of the Wellington Ward.  We went to drop by and Alvin was there with his girlfriend, Katie.  She said she was searching for the right church.  She said she'd been to "every church in the world, except the mormon church".  We talked about that a little and we gave her a Book of Mormon and said "if you want to know what we're all about, just read the Book of Mormon" we came back the next week (this past Thursday) and started talking with her.  She'd already read to 2 Nephi 16!  We then had a super awesome lesson and we challenged her to baptism for November 9th.  Without skipping a beat she said "Yes".  Wow.  The Message of the Restoration is truly an amazing and powerful one.  

We've had a number of amazing times so far, but those seem the most pertinent right now.  I love being a missionary!  We had dinner with the Lawrence family before Priesthood session, and they have a grandson who is going to one of the Las Vegas missions on the 23rd of the month.  He seemed a little bummed, and I felt like it was because he realized this is his last conference with his family before the mission.  As we were leaving Elder Weaver and I both said "The mission is an interesting thing.  Though stressful, tiring, and downright painful sometimes, it's literally the best experience ever.  We love being missionaries and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world"

Ate mais!
Eu te amo!   


Elder Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment