Monday, October 28, 2013

The Book of Mormon: The Rock of My Eternal Happiness

Oi familia!

This week was so awesome.  By the same token, I had to go through some of the hardest things I've gone through during my missionary service, but it's really helped my fe' (faith) to grow and I've really had to rely on the Lord. It's been truly amazing to see the hand of the Lord blessing our service and helping us find those who are prepared.  

On another note, Spencer Staten received his reassignment.  He's headed out to the California Roseville mission (north of Sacramento).  I doubt his Mission President is anywhere near as cool as President Bell, but I suppose any mission president is supposed to be cool.  But let's be real, President Bell is straight awesome.

So, the experience of the week.  To be honest, this week was jam-packed with awesome experiences, but we had one super cool experience with one of our investigators named Jared.  Jared is in high school and we dropped by his house to give him an overview of the Restoration.  We started talking with him a little about the Book of Mormon and we just started testifying.  I told him about how when I was in college I would read a chapter out of the Book of Mormon each day before I would start my calculus homework, and because of it I got an A in the class and was able to ace the final.  We testified of how when you read the Book of Mormon before you do anything else, you always have time to do everything you need to.  As we were testifying of all these blessings he would receive he stopped us and said "Whoa, it's just a book."  Well, let's be real.  It's not just any book.  I know that the Book of Mormon is scripture and that "[anyone] will get close to God by abiding by it's precepts than by any other book" {Introduction to the Book of Mormon).  The Book of Mormon has brought me guidance and strength in my life in a plethora of ways.  I've received peace and happiness in times of frustration and bitterness.  I've received guidance for my most difficult problems.  I've found friends in the loneliest of times.  Through it all, the Book of Mormon has been my constant rock and something that I would be completely lost without.  These blessings are available to everyone!!!  When we told Jared this he said "This all sounds so great, but what's the catch?"  Well, that's the great thing about it.  All you have to do is read it.  President Benson once said of the Book of Mormon: "It is not just that the Book of Mormon teaches us truth, though it indeed does that. It is not just that the Book of Mormon bears testimony of Christ, though it indeed does that, too. But there is something more. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. The scriptures are called “the words of life” (see D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon. When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you will find life in greater and greater abundance."   I know these promises are true!  So go!  Pick up that Book of Mormon!  If you don't have one, get one and watch the blessings flow!

This is the Lord's work.  I am His servant.  As a representative of Jesus Christ I give my undying testimony of this record.  I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God!  I have seen it bless my life and the lives of many others.  I know that there is no greater work than the work of salvation, and now is the time to hasten it.  

Vos amo!


Elder Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment