Monday, June 23, 2014

Wait, you really did what we asked?

Oi família!

Well, this e-mail will probably be a little shorter because Brasil is playing today.  As such, after 12 pretty much everything will be closed, so I´m trying to take advantage of what little time I have.

But we had a super cool experience with a woman we´re teaching named Rosa.  She lives half of her time at her sisters house and the other half closer to her mother about 3 hours south of here.  We passed by on our first week here because her neice (daughter of her sister) is serving a mission in São Paulo.  Her neice is the only member in the whole family, though a great example.  When we were teaching Rosa the first time she said "I know that what you´re teaching me is true because I can feel it when you speak, but I don´t know about baptism."  We marked a return apointment and she ended up traveling back to her mom´s house early so the apointment fell through.  Then we were walking with a member of the ward and she said "Oh, Rosa called and said that she´s back in town if you want to go visit her."  We headed over there because everything else fell through (which is almost always a sign on the mission that there´s potential for something big).  We showed up and began talking and before we could ask anything she said "Well, I did what you said.  I read the introduction, I prayed and I KNOW that this is the true church.  I want to get baptized."  Wow.  I was not expecting that.  We reviewed with her what happend.  We asked about the prayer and what had happened.  She said that she had prayed, and the Spirit testified that this IS the only true and living church upon the face of the earth and that she needed to be baptized.  If there´s anyone who likes to hear these words it´s a missionary.  We´ve returned and taught her a few times since then and every time she keeps bringing up baptism and tells us how much she wants to be baptized.  It´s such a testimony to me that the Lord´s chosen are those who hear the call and heed it. She came to church yesterday and loved it.  We went by and taught the Word of Wisdom and she said "Well, I´ll stop drinking coffee tomorrow."  It´s so amazing to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord and watch as he prepares these people.  Litterally, all we do is show up.  She basically teaches herself.  The Lord has blessed us so much with amazing people, fantastic contacts, and marvelous blessings.  I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!

On another note, President Souza will be returning home this week as we await our new President, President Boníni.  I will miss him like the dickens.  He´s an amazing teahcer and an even more amazing mission president. You´re all invited to his homecoming, though it might be a little expensive to all fly to Curitiba.

Boa sorte e abraços para todo mundo

Élder Evans


P.S. O chamdo missionário é a melhor coisa no mundo inteiro

No comments:

Post a Comment